A Qualifying Life Event is a major life change that may affect your health insurance needs. Qualifying life events may make you eligible for a special enrollment period outside of the school’s scheduled open enrollment period. Enrollment is typically required within 30 days of the qualifying event and supporting documentation is required. Examples of qualifying life events are:
Loss of health coverage.
• Turning 26 and losing coverage through a parent’s plan
• Losing existing health coverage under another plan, including job-based, individual, and student plans
• Losing eligibility for Medicare, Medicaid, or CHIP
• Losing existing health coverage as a dependent on a family member’s plan through divorce, death, job loss
• Eligible student actively enrolled arriving to the US from another country mid-semester
*If dependents are covered by your school’s health insurance plan, other examples are:
Changes in household which impact a dependent being able to enroll under your coverage.
• Getting married
• Having a baby or adopting a child
• Spouse and/or dependents arriving to the US from another country
• Spouse and/or dependents losing other health coverage due to aging off parents’ plan, loss of employee benefits, losing eligibility under Medicare, Medicaid, or CHIP
*To confirm if dependents are covered, please go to the 'Benefits' tab and search within the 'Benefit Information' accordion to review the Plan Highlight Flyer or Brochure.